September 15, 2011

Don't "Pull the Goalie"


I graduated with a class of about 54 people. Based off of the countless Facebook posts, picture updates, and other daily social network annoyances, it seems like there is only one person left without a kid or two roaming around at the heels of a semi-youthful life. That person is me.

Do you remember those magical mirrors from our childhood fairy tales and movies? If there could somehow be a way for those to actually exist, I'd ask it "should I be doing something differently?" Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to changing a diaper at 3 in the morning, as the TV announcer in the background informs me that I can buy a mop/blender/foot massager for 3 easy payments of $34.99, but a part of me does feel left out. On the other hand, do I really want to be another member of the "look how perfect my kid is" club? I think not. Let's think about it....

I'm 24 years old. If I had a baby exactly 9 months from now, I'd still be the same age. By the time the baby grew up and graduated from high school, I'd only be 41 years old. That's not even old enough for a mid-life crisis (in case you're wondering, I'd go with a sports car...probably in the form of a 2029 flying Camaro). There's a chance they'd be married before I was 50, giving me chance to be a grandpa by the time I'm 55 (too young for dentures and retirement, but too old to still be "cool"). I think I'll just wait a little time before getting married, keep "the goalie" in place for a while after that, have kids when I'm ready, and find that today is a perfect day to be young. I'm not saying that I'm going to crawl into bed tonight with Spider Man pajamas and snuggle up with my teddy bear as the theme from Doug puts me to sleep, but I do plan on acting my age (still young if you ask me). I have the rest of my life to live as the "family man." Today, I'm perfectly happy taking things slower than rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment